This document provides you with information about how we are handling, or are intending to handle, your personal information:
If you are aged 16 or under, please get your parent/guardian’s permission before you provide any personal information to us.
Dolls’ Houses Past & Present (“us”, “we”, “our”, or “the Site”) is committed to protecting and respecting your privacy and complying with the principles of applicable data protection laws.
This notice sets out the basis on which any personal data we collect from you, or that you provide to us, will be processed by us. Please read the following carefully to understand our views and practices regarding your personal data and how we will treat it.
The data controller of the personal data referred to in this policy may be contacted by email to email@example.com
Collection of Personal Data
The Site may collect and/or create or otherwise obtain and process the following data about you:
- Information about yourself that you provide by filling in forms while registering for activities on our Site, subscribing to our communications, posting material, entering, attending and volunteering at events or requesting further services.
- We may also ask you for information when you report a problem or make a complaint and, if you contact us, we may keep a record of that correspondence.
- We may also ask you to complete optional surveys that we use for research purposes and to provide you with a more relevant user experience.
- Information about emails and other communications we have sent to you and your interaction with them.
Uses Made of Your Information and the Basis of Processing
We will use your personal information to:
- Ensure that content from our Site is presented in the most effective manner;
- Authenticate you when you register;
- Provide you with information which we feel may interest you, where we are legally entitled to do so;
- Notify you about changes to our service;
- Gather statistics about our membership.
The legal basis on which we collect and process the personal data described above depends on the personal information concerned and the specific context in which we collect it. However, we will only use your personal information where we:
- Have your consent to do so;
- Need the personal data to perform a contract with you;
- Need to process your personal information for our legitimate interests and only where our legitimate interests are not overridden by your data protection interests or fundamental rights and freedoms;
- Have a legal obligation to collect personal information from you; or
- Need the personal information to protect your vital interests or those of another person.
If we ask you to provide personal information to comply with a legal requirement or to perform a contract with you, we will make this clear at the relevant time, and advise you whether the provision of your personal information is mandatory or not (as well as the possible consequences if you do not provide your personal information).
We will take all steps reasonably necessary including policies, procedures and security features to ensure that your data is treated securely and protected from unauthorised and unlawful access and/or use, and in accordance with this notice. Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure and, although we will do our best to protect your personal data transmitted to us via the internet, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our Site from your device. Any transmission is at your own risk.
Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of the Site, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share such a password with anyone.
Where any donations are being collected on our behalf, we require our payment providers to be compliant with the Payment Card Industry’s Data Security standards (PCI-DSS).
We will share information about you with some of our suppliers who process data on our behalf to help us to provide services to you. We undertake this data sharing on the basis of our legitimate interests including:
- Database hosting companies - to host our digital platform (i.e. the Dolls’ Houses Past and Present website) and the associated member database, to enable members to log in and interact with the Site.
- An email broadcasting company (Mailchimp) - to send emails to our members.
International Transfer of Personal Data
It is possible that on some occasions, the information we collect may be transferred to organisations who may store and use such data at premises outside the UK. Where we allow an organisation to process your personal information outside of the European Economic Area, we will ensure that we create and maintain appropriate safeguards with those organisations so that your personal information is subject to the same standards and protections as when we are processing your personal information inside the European Economic Area.
Data Retention Period
We will hold information about you in our data systems only for as long as we need it for the purpose for which we collected it, which is as follows:
- As long as you continue to visit or log in to our site and/or use our services (including replying to any emails we may send) we will retain and process any information we hold about you in the ways described above. In such cases, you will be considered to be an ‘active’ member.
- If you have not been ‘active’ as a member for a period of three years, we will contact you to ask if you wish to continue your membership. If you no longer wish to be a member of our Site, we will deactivate your membership and anonymise any personal data relating to you.
- Personal data linked to the processing of such matters (should they arise) as insurance claims, subject access requests, disputes, safeguarding investigations, disciplinary or police matters will only be kept for as long as is necessary for those purposes, as each is applicable.
IP Addresses and Cookies
We may collect information about your computer, including, where available, your IP address, operating system and browser type, for system administration. This is statistical data about our users' browsing actions and patterns and does not identify any individual.
In addition to cookies, we may record the activity of members signed in to our Site in order to help us improve your experience of the Site and provide you with support.
Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the way our Site works. Here are some specific things to remember:
- Although certain categories of profile information (such as your full name, birth date and gender) have privacy settings, others (such as your profile photo and location) are considered publicly available and have no privacy settings associated with them.
- Even after you remove information from your profile or delete your account, copies of that information may remain viewable elsewhere to the extent it has been shared with others or it was copied or stored by other users.
- Certain types of communications you send to other users cannot be removed, such as messages.
- Any content uploaded, or created, or posted by you on the Site is, by default, hosted for the public and is thus publicly available. Publicly available information may be accessed by everyone on the Internet, including third-party search engines and/or internet archiving services that may index, cache and store that information. For this reason, we strongly advise users NOT to post personal information in the Forums and Photo Gallery areas of the Site. Any such sharing of personal data is done so entirely at your own risk.
Third-party Advertisers and Links
The Data Subject’s Rights
Data protection laws grant you, as a Data Subject, certain ‘information rights’, which are summarised below:
- Right of access - You have the right to obtain a copy of information we hold about you.
- Right of rectification or erasure - If you feel that any data that we hold about you is inaccurate, you have the right to ask us to correct or rectify it. You also have a right to ask us to erase information about you where you can demonstrate that the data we hold is no longer needed by us, or if you withdraw the consent upon which our processing is based, or if you feel that we are unlawfully processing your data. Please note that we may be entitled to retain your personal data despite your request, for example if we are under a separate legal obligation to retain it. Your right of rectification and erasure extends to anyone we have disclosed your personal information to and we will take all reasonable steps to inform those with whom we have shared your data about your request for erasure.
- Right to restriction of processing - You have a right to request that we refrain from processing your data where you contest its accuracy, or the processing is unlawful and you have opposed its erasure, or where we do not need to hold your data any longer but you need us to in order to establish, exercise or defend any legal claims, or we are in dispute about the legality of our processing your personal data.
- Right to Portability - You have a right to receive any personal data that you have provided to us in order to transfer it onto another data controller where the processing is based on consent and is carried out by automated means. This is called a data portability request.
- Right to Object - You have a right to object to our processing your personal data where the basis of the processing is our legitimate interests including but not limited to direct marketing and profiling.
- Right to Withdraw Consent - You have the right to withdraw your consent for the processing of your personal data where the processing is based on consent.
- Right of Complaint - You also have the right to lodge a complaint about any aspect of how we are handling your data with the UK Information Commissioner’s Office, which can be contacted at www.ico.org.uk.
- Right to Opt-out of Marketing Communications - You have the right to opt-out of marketing communications we send to you at any time. You can exercise this right by clicking on the “unsubscribe” or “opt-out” link in those emails.
How to Contact Us
If you wish to contact us about your personal data or exercise any of the rights described above please contact: admin@dollshousespastandpresent
Last updated: March 2019